Saturday, July 16, 2011

How many papers should you buy?

Everyone always asks me how many papers I buy?  This might seem like a silly question to most folks, but if you coupon like I do, you know that having multiple copies of particular coupons is key to getting the best deals most of the times.

I "think" I first read this on Jill Cataldo's site (I could totally be making this up), but apparently a good rule of thumb to follow is to buy a paper for every member of your household plus one.  For larger families, this may seem crazy...but believe me when I tell you that despite paying more for the extra papers, I always get my money back (plus more) in free purchases.  So it is worth the extra hassle of sorting and clipping.



I will sometimes buy more than one paper if there are a lot of inserts.  I believe I bought 4 papers the weekend of May 1st, but that's only because there were 6 coupon inserts in there...and there were many high value coupons.  For example, let's just say that I have bought 8 packs of razors for FREE with these papers alone.  With razors costing about $8 each individual package, I would say the initial investment of roughly $8 that weekend has paid off immensely.  I don't have a large stockpile though...I share my good deals with my parents and younger sister as neither one is really interested in learning how to coupon.  So I'll take one for the team and help them out when I can.


Most weekends, I stick to buying 2 papers for myself. 

If you aren't ready to make that leap, Mashupmom often posts up what's coming in the paper this weekend and gives you a few of the better coupons she sees in it.  Here is the link for this weekend's post on how many papers you should buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment