Monday, May 16, 2011

A review of how to start

I've recently enjoyed learning that some unexpected people in my life have been inspired by my couponing, so I thought I would add a refresher on where to start!

First and foremost - buy the Sunday paper!  In Chicago, the Tribune has the best coupons (in terms of amounts).  For example, this weekend, the Sun Times only had a Red Plum coupon insert, but the Trib had the Red Plum and a Smartsource.  So I would highly suggest opting for the Trib.

Second - figure out what storage system works for you.  I like to look at all my coupons, so I've put them in a binder using baseball card holders.  Look under the tab called Organization for examples. There are other ways of organizing your coupons...I would suggest looking on Jill Cataldo's site for her tips (she's listed on the gurus to the right).

Now...how do I plan for my shopping excursions?  Well, for the most part, I go to the gurus.  My main three folks are Jill Cataldo, Mashup Mom and Double Saving Divas.  Jill and Mashup Mom are very detailed.  Some people find Mashup Mom easier to read, but I always check both because they sometimes have different finds.

Double Saving Divas are my newest discovery thanks to the TLC show Extreme Couponing.  I have some ethical issues with the show (people are "buying" coupons from clipping services which in theory make the coupon void - which could come screw the rest of us couponers that do things correctly).  I also think the show is more about exposing the psychological impact of going extreme....I think it showcases more of the hoarding tendencies of these stockpiles.  HOWEVER, the Double Saving Divas have a pretty active facebook page and quickly showcase freebie items on their webpage, so I always check there too.

When I have time, I'll pick up a Sunday paper on Saturday night.  I'll then check all three blogs late at night for any deals posted for Saturday (especially at Walgreens and CVS because their inventory is small and replaced slowly).  If there is a great deal, I get up early on Sunday and take advantage of it before the inventory disappears.

On Monday morning, I'll look to Jill Cataldo and Mashup Mom for Deals of the Week at my local grocery stores.  The goal is always to go grocery shopping before Thursday because there is always a secondary deal going on at the grocers from Sunday-Wednesday.  Those extra deals will disappear on Thursday-Saturday.  So make sure to check them out!

At the grocery store, always look for extra coupon booklets.  Check the customer service counter, the deli counter and displays.  This weekend I was trying to score a Coke coupon booklet at Jewel, but my Jewel was out.  I'll have to try stopping by another on this week and see if can nab one for myself.

Anyway, that was a fast and dirty review of how I've started doing things.  It's really all about being organized and devoting some time to the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment