Friday, August 13, 2010

I somehow made money at Staples!

So last week, Illinois had a reduced tax week (elimination of the State tax for a week).  I printed up the list of qualifying items and saw that double sided tape was an approved item.  I use a lot of double sided tape in my scrapbooking business, so I decided to drive to the burbs (no city tax) to buy myself some double sided tape. 

There was a huge line of folks, so I didn't check the receipt until I got home.  Doh!  I realized that I did not receive my reduced taxes.  So I printed up the list and took another trip to the burbs.  I also had received a $5 off $25 coupon in the mail, so I wanted to tack that on to my purchase.

When I arrived at Staples, the manager was confused that the system didn't automatically take off the sales tax...so he decided to see if it was only on a particular size of the double sided tape.  OF COURSE it was.  So I changed it up and took advantage of my $5 off coupon.

Well now that I'm couponing crazy, I started to do the math.  I figured out the cost of the tape per inch...and low and behold, I was totally screwed when moving to the "approved" size.  So the next day, I went back to the staples right by my house to return the tape.

What I was shocked to discover was that I made $5 by doing this?!  I know that I submitted a $5 off coupon, but I never actually paid that money, so I would imagine that I should only get back the amount I paid, right?

Guess not!

Thanks for the $5 Staples!

No comments:

Post a Comment