Friday, August 6, 2010

IL Sales Tax Holiday

Today started the beginning of the IL Sales Tax Holiday (August 6-15th), and I wanted to take advantage of the decrease is sales taxes to purchase something I know I use a lot of - DOUBLE SIDED tape.

If you know me, you know that I am a small business owner of a custom scrapbook design company.  I'm the President and CEO of Just Remember Scrapbooks, Inc. and the sole employee.  Small, small business - ha!

Anyway, I discovered long ago that double sided tape is acid-free and much cheaper to buy to use on projects, so I'm always looking for sales to take advantage of when purchasing it.  I had pulled up the IL Dept of Revenue's list of qualifying items at work and saw that double sided tape was on the list.  Score!

Unfortunately, I took a trip out to the burbs today to purchase the tape (minus the extra City of Chicago tax), and I realized that I was charged the full rate of taxes.  Sad face!

Of course I didn't have the print out document that proved this item was on sale and there was a huge line of people behind me, so I paid the full amount knowing that I will be going back with PROOF to get my discount.

Word to the wise while shopping, print up the list of qualifying items here!

1 comment:

  1. I feel bad for the art students... they never get a break. Just another reminder to them on how society thinks they are a waste.

    ReplyDelete